BROWNE INNOVATION GROUP

Sunday, June 19, 2011

BIG’s Blog: The New Golden Age of Fund Raising: An Assignment To Those Who are Single and Over 45

It has come to my attention that a lot of the things I talk about are not resonating with some of you and I think I know the reason. Although I am 58, and therefore pretty much a representative of a large segment of my blog reading audience, I am considered, at first glance, maybe not as “with it” technologically as someone in their 30s. But, I have a secret weapon, actually I have two of them . . . my daughters, ages 24 and 26.

All of us look at the world and judge information we read or hear through the prism of our own experience. That’s normal. But, it can be a significant handicap during moments of significant change and disruption if we don’t have a means to test the information; meaning it doesn’t fit with our life experiences. We are going through one of those times. And for those of you without benefit of children around, you must do the following:

Find young people in their 20s or early 30s and interview them. Ask them how much they use their cell phones and computers, tablets, etc. Ask them what functions they use; social networks, other programs. One of my clients did this when we first started meeting to gauge whether what I was saying about how young people interact with technology was fact or fiction.
I thought it was a great idea, so I am passing it on to you.

We really are headed into a new Golden Age of fund raising, but, if you don’t believe how younger people interact with technology, much of what I am saying will be dismissed. That’s a problem these interviews will fix.

-Mike

Welcome to BIG’s Blog and yes, by all means forward our blog to your friends and co-workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment