BROWNE INNOVATION GROUP

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

BIG's Blog: It's all about Me - a recent paradigm

In my last blog, I addressed the importance of knowing your constituent donor using data analysis. Following is an example of how data analysis may have come up with a better result. This organization had a good idea. But, I soon realized that the organization really didn’t know much about me as an individual constituent.

Having worked in the medical field, I know the value of a blood donor – especially in life-and-death situations. I am a “universal donor,” which is valuable to those who are in desperate need of a transfusion. My type is specifically used for accident victims and babies in need of transfusions. For this reason, I have donated blood to as many blood facilities as possible over the years. My primary donations were to the largest donor blood organization.

Recently, I donated blood. That same day, I received a congratulatory letter from this organization telling me that I am now a charter member of the Blood Donor Club. My first reaction was ego. "I am finally being recognized for my over thirty years of being a blood donor to this organization." As a member of this “club,” I now have all of these benefits--many that I will never use. As I read on, the letter indicated that I had achieved a Silver Level blood donor status. "Hmm". . . . I thought, “Why am I not a gold member by now?”

The letter indicated that I gave two to three times last year. That sounded about right, but I don’t really keep track. My analytical mind then calculated the following:

If I donated three times last year, and I have been giving blood for a minimum of 20 years, that equals a possible 60 pints of donated pints of blood. I took an average of the fees charged over the years to buy one of these units and came up with cost of $500 per unit. (This is a theoretical number used to make a point.) Base on this speculation, my worth to the organization is approximately $30,000 of “in-kind” donations. Granted, that may not seem like a large number, but to some organizations, it could be.

Recognition of a constituent donor is important, especially to those have supported you for years. Is your organization willing to really get to know your constituent donors? Data analytics and good data management can be of great value for developing and maintaining a strong constituent donor relationship. With good analytics and data maintenance, you can identify what is truly important to your donors.

Let this example provide your organization with a reason to improve your relationships with constituents/donors. I will continue to donate to this organization, but now, I may not be as loyal...

-Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment