BROWNE INNOVATION GROUP

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

BIG' Blog: Steve Jobs

It was 1975 and I was driving from Dallas to my hometown in Kansas listening to the radio.

The news story was about a company in California called Apple that had created the first small computer for home use. This new small computer was called Adam. I've never forgotten that.

I knew this was news but wondered what anyone would use this small computer for. Up to that point, computers and the computer programs that ran on them were the provence of businesses.

In those days we hadn't learned the word software yet, or a whole host of new words that spilled into our lives and the lexicon of our culture with the "personal" computer revolution.

And always in the fore front was Steve Jobs.

The other night my wife and I were on a walk and Steve Jobs came up in our conversation. I said to my wife, "Wouldn't it be amazing to pop into Steve Jobs' mind for one minute? He is always creating new products we don't think about before he announces them. And then we can't live without them."

When Jobs introduced the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad, they either shifted the technology competition in their space ... think iPod and iPhone or created a new product category ... think iPad.

Just the other night I was wondering what new product Steve Jobs was thinking about now and now his light has gone dark.

Maybe more than anyone else in the last 40 years, he helped set in motion the change in the way we communicate.

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment