BROWNE INNOVATION GROUP

Thursday, November 1, 2012

BIG’s Blog: All the Slow (fill-in-the-blank) are Dead

My blogs cover a lot of tough facts and topics that many fundraisers would rather not have to read. Facts are stubborn things. I get labeled…and rightly so…as the purveyor of too much doom and gloom about fundraising today. Yes, I am guilty; they are inconvenient truths. But frankly, no one is more tired of having to go over the same plowed ground again and again than me.

The truth is, I cannot wait for the day that the vast majority of fundraisers have shifted their fundraising methodologies primarily to digital means. That would open so many new areas to blog about. So, please, hasten the day that you will view my posts as uplifting by passing them along to your fundraising brethren who…how shall I say this delicately…are more oriented to the status quo than you.

One of my favorite bloggers is Seth Godin. A while back he wrote a short blog entitled “All the slow hedgehogs are dead” that I believe is destined to be a classic. I put it forth below in its entirety. Maybe, instead of me having to remind fundraisers – yet again – that direct mail is in terminal decline, Seth’s story can carry a similar message and let the readers draw their own analogy.

For fifty years, it was a national disgrace.
Motor cars in the UK often left behind road kill. Hedgehogs would meander across the road and splat.
Today, you hardly see that anymore. One reason is that there are fewer hedgehogs due to suburbanization. The real reason, though, is that slow hedgehogs became former hedgehogs, which meant that they were unable to produce more slow hedgehog kids.
The new hedgehogs were fast.
Draw your own organizational analogy,


-Mike

Welcome to BIG's Blog!  Please feel free to forward this post to your friends and coworkers...and email me a comment at: mike@big-db.com

No comments:

Post a Comment